A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Concrete Way to Help in Iraq

If you'd like to do something to help the people of Iraq, here's an easy suggestion: send school supplies.

Major Scott Baum of Fort Worth, Texas, is spearheading "Operation School House" to collect supplies for children and teachers in Iraq. They need standard school supplies that all of you have probably bought at some point: pencils, notepads, pencil sharpener, color markers, crayons, scissors, erasers, glue, writing paper, construction paper, coloring books, backpacks. Teachers also need larger quantities of highlighters, staplers, and red pens.

What a deal: "The post office provides the free shipping box and the customs declaration form, and the maximum price for a shipment is only $8."

Send supplies to:
Operation School House
Col. Fred Woerner
3rd Division Headquarters
Al Kisik, Iraq
APO/AE 09334

If you'd like an electronic link to the article from which I pulled this information, let me know. I'm operating on the starfish principle: the school supplies I send won't cure Iraq's ills, but I'm hoping it will make a difference in at least a few lives there.